[TenTec] Omni VII Question

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII Question
From: Dennis OConnor <ad4hk2004@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2007 04:55:04 -0700 (PDT)
Too much hiss? Turn the RF gain down...
  With no tune, everything automatic radios, the new generation of hams
operating rice boxes have become too used to plugging it in, turning it on, and
operating...
  They never learned the lessons that we old farts, who had to make do with the
single IF stage, no crystal filter, barn door wide front end, junkboxes that
passed for radios on those days knew by heart...
  If you really want to heat that weak signal on a noisy band - turn off the
AGC, turn down the RF gain, turn up the audio big time, go to a wider filter,
use headphones, and ride the RF gain as your volume control...

  I'm running an Orion and I still do this on a really weak one...

  denny / k8do

denny / k8do