Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 problems

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Titan 425 problems
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2007 20:53:09 -0700
It's been awhile since I have had any serious problem with my 425 with the
exception of a fuse that just decided it was time to die.  I replaced it and
all has been well since.  In the past, I did have a problem with the bias
control board which burned itself up, most likely due to a lightning strike
or some other event.  I simply replaced the whole board with a new one from
TT ($61.88 according to my notes) and that fixed the problem.

Other problems that have arisen over the years included the plate
transformer shorting (took out the diode board, too), which was a fairly
common problem.  Shortly after it was returned from the factory for that
work, a disc capacitor on the HV meter shunt board got too close to the
chassis and blew up.  I replaced all the caps with better ones, stuffed the
board and bent the components so that there was maximum space to the
chassis.  I replaced the rubber grommets in fan body and mount to quiet it
down a bit.

Other than pilot lights, that's all that's gone wrong since 1989.  Still
running on the same finals with 2kW key-down output!  It's reduced to
standby use since I got an ACOM 2000A in March, but it was pressed into
service a couple of months ago when the ACOM quit and had to go east.

         Ron  N6IE
      www.N6IE.com