[TenTec] Omni VII Temperature Control

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VII Temperature Control
From: "Howard Motley" <hmmjr@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 08:20:37 -0400
I was one of the ones who complained when the Temperature shut down was
implemented in Version 1.012.
My rig shut down while in a long CW QSO.  Version 1.014 increased that
temperature and I've not had it happen since.  This feature was added to
meet a European requirement.  I see the EU version of the OMNI VII now comes
with a fan on the heat sink as standard equipment.  This is an extra cost
item for U.S. versions.  If you operate a lot of 100% duty cycle stuff you
might consider getting the fan.  I do a fair amount of CW contesting and I
bought a little 110v fan from Walmart for $5 or $6.  I set it near the back
of the rig  and blow a stream of air across the heatsink. It keeps the rig
very cool, but I only need it when contesting and running the rig constantly
for hours.  In normal operations it is not needed.

Puck, W4PM