[TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters
From: k8vf_mark@centurytel.net
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 20:58:32 -0400
I cant do it. I envy you. I would think most can't, hence the filters.

I would imagine you were the exception, in my opinion. What a great talent!
You are really lucky! If I could do that I would be thrilled!
Lots of times in a contest there are several in the passband(500) and they
are very close in frequency, so I really need the stacked filters in those
condx.

Yes noisy, not crowded band. Lots of noise on 160.

The other reason for the narrow filter is to get EXACTLY on a guy....in many
contests, fellows are running very narrow filters and you have to "fish"
around in the (even 250 Hz) passband to get a guy to answer you. I have run
into that many times...it is not the signal strength, either. The guys are
just that narrow.

Great thread!

K8VF

(snip)
I regularly work a station when there are three, or more stations inside
the 500 Hz bandwidth, and not necessarily the strongest of the three or
more stations. If one or more of them is 10 or 20 dB above the rest,
then I cannot work the weak ones. As long as all three stations are of
moderate strength (probably less than S 5) and spaced by at least 100 Hz
from each other, I have no difficulty focusing on whichever one I
choose, and working it.

If there is a lot of QRN, I find that my physiopsycoacoustic processing
system works better with a 500 Hz last IF filter than with a 250 Hz one.
> Dont forget to touch up the PBT as it MAY be different than the 500Hz
> model.

Yep, definitely important.

DE N6KB