Re: [TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters
From: Steve Berg <wa9jml@tbc.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Oct 2007 21:07:50 -0500
I second Jerry's comments about learning to copy code on wide receivers.
   I had to learn this because I started out with a BC-455 command set
on 40 meters and even with a regenerated IF stage it was wide.  Really
wide.  Now, my ears are so badly fried that I have lost most of that
skill.  I have an Omni V with 250 Hz filters selectable in both IF
frequencies.  When things are crowded on 40 and 30 meter pileups, I find
that it often helps to use both filters with careful use of the passband
tuning.  I also can use the Autek audio filter to further peak up a
signal hidden in a crowd.  It is amazing how doing this can pull out a
weak signal.  Often, when things are less crowded I use the 1800 Hz
sideband filter on CW.  After all those years I spent with wide
receivers, it sounds more natural to my beat up ears.  If I had known I
was going to last this long, I would have been more careful.

Steve WA9JML