Re: [TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Purpose of 250 Hz 8 pole filters
From: David Cuttler <davidcuttler@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 16:06:38 -0700 (PDT)
I am new to this list, and wanted to add my  two cents
regarding the 250 HZ filter.

I recently acquired a used Corsair II, and rebuilt the
PTO using Phil grease which is high quality grease
that I use for my bicycles. Smooooth.

The receive seemed down, so I sent it to Ten Tec, and
now that I have it back,  it is very hot. I had
previously installed a 500 HZ filter, but wanted a 250
HZ filter to finish the job. I found one by placing a
listing on QTH.com. While waiting for it to arrive, I
have been reading all the posts with most people
saying that it does not seem to make a difference,
which kind of made me think that I may have spent my
good money for no reason.

The filter came today, and I just installed it in my
Corsair II and listened to some CW signals on 40
meters. I zeroed the signal using the spot button,
cranked in some audio band pass filtering, and
switched from the 500 to the 250 HZ filter. The result
was just the CW signal hanging there in space clear as
could be with almost no background noise.

I suspect having the receiver aligned prior to
installing the filter also makes a difference, because
both filters appear to be centered in the pass band
which does not require any knob fiddling when
switching between the two filters

I like it!

David - KE6YX