Re: [TenTec] OT: RFI from Plasma TV?

To: Ten-Tec Reflector <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT: RFI from Plasma TV?
From: Rick Williams <ve7asr@yahoo.com>
Date: Tue, 20 Nov 2007 12:11:49 -0800 (PST)
Bernie I own a Panasonic 50 inch plasma and the short
answer is yes.  Just yesterday I received the message
below from Panasonic (Canada).  I have already
installed a large toroid on the power cord (the stock
cord IS shielded with a built it toroid and my added
toroid with 8-turns of the power cord seemed to do
nothing), an excellent surge protector (that seemed to
make things worse), put the TV on another circuit and
the rest of course is chaff thrown up by the
manufacturer (the GND system meets current codes and
the plug is wired correctly).  The change of circuit
DID help somewhat. The noise introduced by the TV on
certain frequencies on the 80 metre band is
approximately 2 S-units (i.e. significant) and similar
on selected frequencies on 20 and other bands.  So
it's all over the place on all the bands I work with
all the antennas I use.

I put every split choke I own on the power line along
with the large wound torroid with no change.

The TV has a built-in EMI filter at the plug (I can
see it through the vent holes) so placing an
additional Corcom filter in series seemed to make
things worse.  Finally, I have a large isolation
transformer, currently serving as a doorstop in the
shack, that will be installed later to see if it
helps.

>From the Panasonic note they seem convinced that the
power cord is radiating.  My fear is that the plasma
design itself is the source of the interference and
that will be significantly more difficult, if not
impossible, to resolve.

73,

Rick
VE7TK