[TenTec] Omni VI+ receiver UHF intermod

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Omni VI+ receiver UHF intermod
From: "Jack Mandelman" <modeler@bellsouth.net>
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2007 18:26:01 -0500
While tuning across 20m ssb with my recently acquired Omni VI plus I
noticed what first appeared to be S5-6 splatter from a nearby signal.
After closer inspection I realized that it was an FM modulated signal
centered at about 14.17980 MHz.  I then switched the radio to FM and was
able to make out certain softly spoken words, although the signal was
wideband FM while the Omni VI + is meant to receive narrow band FM.  The
FM signal appears to be from a local UHF TV station operating on about
635MHz.

To determine if the signal I was hearing was truly on the 20m band I
listened on both a TS-940S and a TenTec CorsairII.  Neither the 940 or
C2 heard any such signal.  Therefore I surmised I was hearing an
intermod product generated within the Omni VI +.  I was able to
eliminate the intermod by inserting an old Johnson Viking LP filter in
front of the Omni VI+.

Has anyone encountered or heard of a similar UHF intermod problem with
the Omni VI?

Jack K1VT