Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ receiver UHF intermod

To: "Jack Mandelman" <modeler@bellsouth.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Omni VI+ receiver UHF intermod
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2007 09:59:32 -0600
Actually in some instance this mixing could be taking place outside of the
radio, such as a poor antenna connection, a corroded joint between a guy
wire and a tower leg or just about anywhere else where two metals join.  The
signals are detected, mixed and the sum and or difference is re-radiated and
is being picked up by the Omni VI Plus.   This is just the normal stuff that
us repeaters owners and operators deal with every day.

Since the LP filter ahead of the radio seemed to cure the ills, then likely
one of the switching diodes in the radio is the culprit.  Perhaps a
tightening of the screws on the PCB mountings might correct the problem if
it is de-coupling caps floating up from ground.

73
Bob, K4TAX