Re: [TenTec] Centaur Power Cord

To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>,"Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centaur Power Cord
From: "Chuck & Vicki Tifft" <cftifft@sbcglobal.net>
Date: Fri, 4 Jan 2008 22:38:31 -0800
I have yet to see a commercially built 120/240 VAC Ham amplifier with a step
down transformer to run the 120 VAC fan and probably the filament
transformer as well...
Some may exist, but I have yet to encounter one. Not to say that wouldn't be
good engineering practice, but then there is the real world. I have seen
some commercial single phase Broadcast equipment where it wasn't done
either.  Looks like lots of manufactors have gone astray! You can pretty
much run down the list of the Ham Amp builders, and they are all guilty!!!
Anyway I believe the rule is it is OK to Ground the Neutral, but NOT OK to
tie the Neutral the Ground..Unless your are the Power Company, then guess
what they do to the Neutral at the entrance to your house and all along the
system. ...According to the NEC code as adopted in 1996 it is OK and
considered safe, when necessary, to supply both 120 and 240 volt loads in an
appliance that uses  a 3 wire 220/240 VAC cord! My statement was not
intended to say that ground and neutral are the same, what I said was in
that case they were the same, meaning the only neutral available is the
ground wire. Your staement, that it is NEVER, EVER, ACCEPTABLE to operate a
110/120 volt load between 120 line and ground is simply inaccurate, keeping
in mind that I am talking about when the load is contained within an
appliance that has a primary source from a 3 wire 220/240 VAC cord! If it
were not, there would be thousands of electric clothes dryers in this
country operating improperly.And yes I know the new ones come with 4 wire
cords.But there are still thousands and thousands of the 3 wire ones out
there. And then there are probably some 220 volt Air Conditioners...and what
else might we find???
W6RD