Re: [TenTec] Heil headphones

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Heil headphones
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 20:36:19 -0600
Do not confuse source impedance with load impedance.  Typically the load
specified  Z is 5 to 10 times the source impedance.  Thus a 3 ohm source
impedance is adequate to drive a 30 ohm load impedance.  To correctly drive
a 600 ohm load the source Z should be about 60 ohms otherwise inadequate
voltage will be developed should a lower source Z be available.  At the same
time with a 60 ohm source, connecting a 8 to 16 ohm load would likely cause
excessive current and could likely damage to the output circuit.

Also as discussed, another factor has to do with sensitivity of the
headphones vs. sound pressure level produced.  Some simply require more
power to produce the required SPL.

In my case currently with the Omni VII  the headphone suggested load is 8 to
16 ohms but higher Z phones can be used without damage to the transceiver
but audio output to the phones  may be reduced.

All in all, I believe it is a hardware issue.  A small transformer might be
though to work but frequency response will suffer on both ends and still the
circuit may not have adequate power to drive phones with low sensitivity.

73
Bob K4TAX