Re: [TenTec] Digital (PSK31) Communications

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Digital (PSK31) Communications
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Sat, 2 Feb 2008 10:38:41 -0600
A comment to the point of setting vs. controlling the power on the Jupiter.

For modes like PSK-31 the Jupiter should be configured to operate at its
rated output power or 100 watts.  Then the actual power output should be
controlled by the PSK-31 software or the sound card output level or
interface output level to the Jupiter so as to cause the Jupiter to produce
some 25 to 35 watts of power.  This will prevent the ALC activation and
subsequent distortion from being generated and transmitted.  Also, any SP or
speech processing should be OFF.

It should be noted that the PSK-31 signal will cause the power output to
vary slightly depending on if idle or data is being transmitted.  This is
normal and the amount of variation depends on several factors, such as tone
frequency, power meter response and dampening and etc.

Here is the basic NO NO.  Reduction of the Jupiter power to 25 to 35 watts
and then have the sound card audio drive the Jupiter to 25 to 35 watts will
activate the ALC and subsequent distortion of the transmitted signal will
likely result.  This produces a transmitted signal that is several hundred
Hz wide and thus an annoyance or interference to others on the band.

In general it is frowned upon to run "high power" on PSK-31.  The issue with
this lies in the fact that an exceptionally strong signal adjacent to a weak
signal, both within the IF passband,  will cause the strong signal to
capture the AGC and thus further suppress the weaker signal.  As a general
"rule of thumb" one should always operate with actual PSK-31 power output
being no more than 25% to 35% of the rated transmitter power.

73
Bob, K4TAX