Re: [TenTec] Audio Issues, revisited

To: Rick Denney <rick@rickdenney.com>, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Audio Issues, revisited
From: Joe Roberts <jroberts@io.com>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2008 11:31:31 -0500
 >>Is this behavior normal with the V?

Sadly, bad audio is "normal' with the V. Painful is more like it.

Yes, there is too much gain in the audio circuit, so you blow your head
off by even breathing on the AF gain knob. Taper of the AF pot probably
doesn't help either.

The audible distortion in the V seems to come in earlier in the chain
due to overdriving the product detector. The W3TS Product Detector mods
discussed in recent posts address this issue and, in my mind, are a
major step toward making this radio fun listening. Less hiss and
clatter, smoother and more defined signal.

W3TS changed a resistor in the notch circuit to recapture some gain lost
in lowering product detector drive and I found that this value can be
adjusted or left stock to move the sweet spot on the volume control up
toward 11 or 12 o clock.

I am a big fan of the W3TS mods. Night and day difference in the
ergonomics of the operating experience.

See http://www3.telus.net/ve7tk/Omni%20V%20mods.pdf for the lowdown.

Joe N5KAT