Re: [TenTec] Voltage drop

To: <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>, "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Voltage drop
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 5 Mar 2008 23:52:10 -0600
One other solution is a power supply with a remote voltage sensing circuit .
It uses 4 wires, two for the primary current and two to sense the voltage at
the load. Any IR drop by the two carrying the primary current is seen by the
"sense" lines and the regulator in the power supply will adjust to make the
voltage correct at the load end.  Of course some hysterisis has to be
included to prevent oscillation and over-shoot and the circuit becomes a bit
more complex and the power supply has to be a good bit beefier, but it works
very nice with dynamic loads and DC power cables up to several hundred feet.

If you find a supply that has two minus terminals strapped together and two
positive terminals strapped together, then likely the supply is capable of
the remote voltage sensing feature.  A bit further investigation is required
but likely the straps allow the supply to see its own output voltage at the
terminal.  Removing the straps, connecting 4 wires and then having the two
minus leads connected together at the load and the two positive leads
connected together at the load will assure the voltage drop of the wires is
compensated for by the supply.

73
Bob,K4TAX