Re: [TenTec] Orion....use of 250 hz filter

To: "'Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment'" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion....use of 250 hz filter
From: "Duane Calvin" <ac5aa1@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2008 20:08:55 -0500
John,
        You are correct- the 500 Hz and 250 Hz will work great for anyone
who doesn't have an S9+40 signal right next to them in the band.  I wrote
about this a week or two ago and got the business from a few folks who
wanted to remind me of the measurements regarding BDR and IMD issues.  I use
mine judiciously (which means almost all the time unless I hear a problem
happening), and find both filters a big help when DXing and keeping the DX
as free as possible from the QRMers.  I didn't even install them for a long
time because of the reduced performance issue, and then when I did, I found
it was not an issue for me.  As I noted in my last post a little while ago,
the beauty of the Orion I is that you can use them or not.  If you run into
a problem, deselect either or both of them, and now the issue is gone.
Otherwise, use and enjoy them.  I also use them for S&P in contests - if
you're calling them, you don't care about others who are calling off-freq.

        73, Duane

Duane Calvin, AC5AA
Austin, Texas
www.ac5aa.com