Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238A settings?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec 238A settings?
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 07:08:52 -0500
Large variations in tuner settings from one end of 80M to the other end is
normal. This is about typical of all tuners as the ratio of bandwidth to
frequency is greater on the lower frequency bands than on higher
bands/frequencies.  I really haven't found a band or frequency or reasonable
antenna below 30 MHz that the 238 tuner would not handle. {I've not tried to
load a coat hanger. hi hi}

I do have a chart based on settings for all bands and several settings vs.
frequency for each band, and for two different antennas.  This makes for
quick tune-up when changing antennas or bands.  I'll be glad to share that
but it most likely would apply only to my antenna configurations, those
being a 1/2 wave for 160M fed with balanced line and a 1/2 wave for 75M fed
with coax.

I do not suggest using a 4:1 balun for your configuration but a 1:1 current
balun.  These are typically less lossy as you are not matching the feed line
Z but the antenna load Z which is likely closer to 35  to 100 ohms or less.
If you have an Antenna Analyzer measure the Z at the balun coax terminal.
You'll likely find that it is 10 to 25 ohms.  This being the case then a 1:1
balun would be more nearly correct as the load with that configuration would
be 40 to 75 ohms.  Again, a better match for your coax between the balun and
the tuner.

For whatever reason, using balanced line of some 400 to 600 ohms, hams
typically believe they should match the feedline Z.  In actuality the
feedline is more correctly reflecting the antenna feed impedance.  And is
some cases, acting like a transmission line transformer.

Here is a case where a 4:1 balun is accurately used.  The old fashion folded
dipole made of twin lead. The feed Z of a 1/2 wave folded dipole where the
top and bottom conductors are of equal size is nominally 300 ohms when
greater than 1/4 wave above ground.  Add an electrical 1/2 wave of feedline
and one has an antenna with a feed impedance at the transmitter of about 300
ohms.  Use a 4:1 balun and the transmitter feed is 75 ohms showing a SWR of
1.5:1 .   Drop the antenna down to less than 1/4 wave and the feed Z will
drop toward 200 ohms which then with a 4:1 balun the feed point for the
transmitter is now approaching 50 ohms.

73
Bob, K4TAX