Re: [TenTec] 425

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 425
From: Ten-Tec Amateur Radio Sales <sales@tentec.com>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 12:31:47 -0400
Scott Robbins wrote:
> I have a Titan 425. It is a real nice amplifier. QSK is great when
> operated with Ten-Tec rigs using T-T keying loop. I would not call the
> Titan 425 a full power contest duty amplifier. You cannot run it at
> 1500 watts output in near continuous duty, such as in RTTY mode. Even
> in CW mode it is pushing it to operate at full legal output for
> extended periods of CQing. (probably not good operating practice anyway)
>
> My Titan 425 is the biggest amplifier I have, and I would like to have
> a bigger one for contest service. Not to exceed the legal power output
> limit, but rather to have just a bit more high duty cycle full power
> capability. I don't regret buying my Titan 425 and it is not for sale.
> I think it is a great amplifier. You'd probably like one too. Still,
> for contesting it could be just a bit more stout.

Ken -- not to be argumentative -- but the Titan 425 will do 1500 watts
on RTTY with ease.   The amp is rated 1000 watts output on RTTY,
continuous -- no time limit.  1500 watts even on digital modes for
contest use does not present a problem.

I've been using a pair of Titan 425's for contesting for many years now,
first with Omni-VI's and then later with Orion and Orion II.  I bought
my first one used in 1999 and purchased two more used ones in 2001.
Two of them were run 8 to 10 contests a year at 1500 watts output from
when we acquired them until I tore my last contest station down in
2007.   The third one ended up being re-sold, reluctantly, to finance
the purchase of 120' of Rohn 45 tower in 2003.

I plan to keep on using them; I'm now working on putting together a new
contest station for 2009 and hope to (plan to) put both of them back
into service then.

73
Scott Robbins
W4PA