Re: [TenTec] 425

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 425
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2008 17:47:35 -1000
Hi Scott,

I don't want to be argumentative either, however....

If:  "1500 watts even on digital modes for contest use does not present
a problem."

Then why: "The amp is rated 1000 watts output on RTTY, continuous -- no
time limit."

What is the duty cycle rating at 1500 watts output? Obviously not 100%, since
the 100% duty cycle rating is 1000 watts.

If an amplifier is rated at 100% duty cycle at full legal limit output,
then you do not have to think about whether you are transmitting too
long, with too short listening times between transmissions. The Titan
425 is not the amplifier that can do this. Yes, I realize you need to
listen to make QSO, and in my first post I alluded to this by mentioning
poor operating practice. Nevertheless, as the night wears on new
stations to QSO become less frequent, and operators get fatigued,
sometimes a CQ will last a long time, or an operator will fall asleep on
the key. Nice to have an amplifier that won't overheat in that situation.

I like my Titan 425. I still maintain that it is a bit lightweight for
high duty cycle, full power output.

DE N6KB