Re: [TenTec] Alpha 89

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Alpha 89
From: "Paul Christensen" <w9ac@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Apr 2008 18:25:02 -0400
> Specifically, in the Omni VII, the radio outputs RF before the N.O.
> actually
> relay for control of external items closes and settles.  I had to deal
> with
> this when using it to control my sequencer for the VHF and UHF station
> where
> there are lots of things to switch an settle before producing RF from the
> transceiver.  It is only a millisecond or so, but the RF is there.  This
> could spell "bad" for a PIN switched amp.

Perhaps with an older Omni VII F/W version?   I believe the amp key line
from the Omni VII comes from a HV transistor.  What relay needs settling?

I am using an Alpha 86 with an Omni VII (no keying loop) and the two
sequence perfectly at speeds better than 80 WPM.  My Alpha 70V is actually
more sensitive to timing issues and there's no hot-switching with either amp
when using the Omni VII.

Paul, W9AC