Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig

To: gsm@mendelson.com, geraldj@storm.weather.net, tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig
From: RaySoifer@cs.com
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 16:01:45 EDT
In a message dated 4/17/2008 7:30:37 PM GMT Standard Time, gsm@mendelson.com
writes:
> Radio Shack has CB's from $60. Walmart from $35. If they can produce and
> sell a radio for that price, certainly someone can produce a 20m/15m/10m
> USB only rig for under $200?

Probably so, but a low-powered rig is not going to be effective on SSB
without a good antenna, which many of these people will find difficult to
manage.
Here in Arizona we're fortunate to have quite a few new hams pass their tests,
but then most of them quickly become frustrated because they live in CC&R
subdivisions and a stealth dipole simply doesn't get out very well.  So, they
stay
on 2m FM or just give up.  I try to steer them to CW and digital modes, where
their limited antennas can do better.

73 Ray W2RS