Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig

To: gsm@mendelson.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] cheap CW rig
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:13:10 -0600
On Thu, 2008-04-17 at 22:29 +0300, Geoffrey S. Mendelson wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 12:29:38PM -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:
>
> Somehow this got turned around. One of my points was this radio
> should have CW as an extra cost option, not be a CW radio.

I didn't say that.

> Part of its appeal is that new hams, who do not know how to copy morse
> code, do not need to pay for it. It's more a case of perception than
> reality, except for an IF filter, the cost difference between having it
> or not is minimal on an SSB rig.

I didn't say THAT.

> However if it cuts $2 of the cost of the parts, that translates to
> around $10 off the retail cost, which is significant.

I didn't say that either.

> The same with bands below 20m, they need some output filtering, LSB
> reception and transmission and some new firmware. Depending upon the
> output power and quality of the filtering, probably another $25-$50
> retail.

Nor that.

> > Well, the Kenwood TS-120 and 130 have been selling in that price class
> > for a couple years. They do need an antenna tuner (like all solid state
> > radios) but have enough bells and whistles to be useful, but not so many
> > as to confuse the neophyte.

That's what I said.

> Neither rig has digital tuning. Both have a low resolution (100Hz)
> digital display with analog tuning. This will certainly confuse a
> neophyte used to channelized tuning or a 2m FM rig.

But amateur HF modes are not yet channelized so the dial resolution
doesn't limit tuning precision. True, tuning SSB is a skill that has to
be taught to the newbie else he can't make contacts and the digital
radio strives to be as smooth for tuning as the analog radio.

> > Otherwise for CW and digital modes there are many QRP products that can
> > be a learning experience to build and to use. Might not cover DC to
> > light, might only cover 7040+/- 10 KHz.
>
> Digital modes? These people already have computers and broadband
> internet connections. Why would they want to play around with
> uncertain propagation to run at 31 bits per second?

But without ISP fees or content filters or spam.

> As for a learning experience, they live in a world where everything
> plugs into everything else. I'm sure you could eventually get them
> to learn how to solder well enough to make a radio, but that's a
> long way off, and by that time, they will have moved on to other
> things.

Then they weren't going to be long term hams anyway.

> My whole point was to pare down a radio to the point where they
> could easily buy it, and it only has those features they need.
> Get them on the air, and sell them up.
>
> Radio Shack has CB's from $60. Walmart from $35. If they can produce and
> sell a radio for that price, certainly someone can produce a 20m/15m/10m
> USB only rig for under $200?

There is a world of difference making 50 million units or 5000 units.
The total overhead is about the same. But for 5000 units that overhead
and design and production cost per radio goes way out of reason to say
nothing about FCC and other regulatory body type acceptance tests. And
historically, Collins did make a 20/15/10m SSB radio long ago and it
wasn't a great seller though it was the most compact for its time, the
KWM-1. Its reported to have worked decently in the U-2.

> Geoff.

Likely the best market for a 20/15/10m radio would be to third world
countries for pseudo military communications where the authorities
preferred there be no radio communications at all.

73, Jerry, K0CQ