Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten-Tec Transceiver Survey
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 21:23:20 -0500
For VHF and UHF I am a fan of transverters and high performance HF
transceivers.  Noise figures of less then 0.5 dB are the order of the day
for 144 MHz and 432 MHz.  I use DownEast transverters ahead of the Omni VII
on 10 meters with great success.  I know it is more pieces of equipment,
more cables, and more $$ but I view it as "performance $$".  Although some
of the new off shore boxes do well,  all band configurations to 1.2 GHz just
won't get the performance I expect for the bucks.

As to offshore rigs and the ability for the 144, 432 and 1296 bands, several
have special packages that do quite well. That area of the market, however,
is small in numbers and likely not profitable at all compared to the general
demand for HF transceivers.

73
Bob, K4TAX