Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut 509
From: "Mike Hyder -N4NT-" <mike_n4nt@embarqmail.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2008 13:00:26 -0400
It seems the big knob uses a smaller allen wrench than the smaller knobs.
The dial skirt can be tricky to reinstall on the shaft.  I make a loop of
dental floss and use it to take the tension off the D-spring, it's easily
removed after the skirt is in place.

The dial cords remain good for a lifetime but what they call a bungee
section of the dial cord loses its elasticity in time, 10 to 15 years in my
experience.  It is not necessary to restring the whole card, just to replace
that cord, connecting to the string with a small metal clip.  Somebody on
this reflector bought springs to replace that bungee section but I surely
don't recall who.

Some rigs of that genre have a grain-of-wheat lamp mounted inside the
escutcheon on the front panel.  It illuminates the pointer in my 544 and
Omni-C and is a real bother to replace.  To extend its life, I put a 64 ohm
resistor in series with that lamp, and also put 27 ohm resistors in series
with all other lamps.

73, Mike N4NT