Re: [TenTec] Hooking up Omni VII to a network now

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hooking up Omni VII to a network now
From: John Graves <jh.graves@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 11:37:34 -0400
Mike,

I have my IT hat on again, so these are MY suggestions.  As I understand
the situation, you want to run the OMNI VII from several computers at
your house. SO

I would be tempted to try wireless if you have wireless cards in your
computers.  It will either work ok or not. If your linksys  has several
ports other than the port going to your cable/dsl modem, plug in your
computer and OMNI. (see below)  Most of todays units like your linksys
contain switches rather than hubs.  If there are not any ports go to
your local Best Buy or like store and buy a 4-6 port SWITCH.  It will
give you better throughput.

Plug your OMNI into the switch port with a straight through cable.  (You
need a cross-over cable for the direct connection because both the Omni
and your computer interfaces are designed to connect to a switch/hub.)

If your computer has a wireless card and you are configured for it, try
to connect to the OMNI.  If not, plug your computer (again with a
straight through cable) into the switch and try to connect.  There is
not any reason that it will not work.

You can decide if wireless is worth the work to configure your computers
with wireless cards or it is easier to run CAT5 to the places in the
house where you want to work from.  your mileage my vary.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to ask any other questions if I have
confused the situation.

John Graves
WA1JG
jh.graves@verizon.net