Re: [TenTec] Hooking up Omni VII to a network now

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Hooking up Omni VII to a network now
From: Mike Bryce <prosolar@sssnet.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 14:07:03 -0400
John and the gang..

You almost have it correct... the end goal is to be able to work the
omni VII from my QTH while I am at a hotel in Moab UT. I now know I
can talk to it with a cross over cable and one computer directly.

Now, next step is to get it to talk to another computer on my
network----then---- onto the WWW!

So the omni VII needs to be able to see the WWW when this is all done

I'll get a Ethernet switch from best buys

I take it the switch is transparent to the network? I.E. I don't need
to tell the Omni VII the IP address of the switch? Do switches have
IP address??

you said. "If your computer has a wireless card and you are
configured for it, try
to connect to the OMNI.  If not, plug your computer (again with a
straight through cable) into the switch and try to connect.  There is
not any reason that it will not work."

my computer in the shack does in fact have a wireless card that is on
the network. Now, can I take a regular ethernet cable, plug that into
the computer with the wireless card (I will be plugging it into the
ethernet port and not the wireless thingiee) and then "see" the omni
VII?

What about the computer upstairs in the office? It's on a cat line to
the wireless access point router. Will I be able to see the omni VII?
Will i have to change the IP address (GPgateway) in the omni VII each
time I fire up different computer?

Mike, WB8VGE
SunLight Energy Systems
The Heathkit Shop
http://www.theheathkitshop.com/
J e e p
o|||||||o
Note: No trees were killed in the sending of this message, but a
large number of electrons were terribly inconvenienced