Re: [TenTec] New hams (doesn't matter what generation)

To: gsm@mendelson.com, Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] New hams (doesn't matter what generation)
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 21:15:57 -1000
>> I don't care what kind of key, keyer, keyboard or other device is used,
>> it is absolutely untrue that for any generation of ham a 500 Hz filter
>> is necessary to receive CW. For an inexperienced ham a 500 Hz filter is
>> more likely to be an impediment than an aid.
>>

> What filter would you say is needed? 15kHz? 2.8kHz? 1kHz?

I'd say any of those options would be fine for a new ham to make CW
QSOs. 2.8 kHz would be better than 15 kHz, and since this rig

"is being targeted at hams with NO CW skills,
and probably no desire to learn it or pay for it."

it may as well have the 2.8 kHz for SSB and CW both. Those who have the
initiative to try CW will be able to make plenty of QSOs with a 2.8 kHz filter.

> Five dollars in parts adds $25 to $50 to the retail price, so any filter
> adds to price.

I'm saying you don't have to add a filter to give the rig CW capability.
You were claiming that the absolute necessity of a narrow filter for a
new ham to operate CW, along with other complexities of CW transmitting
would make the rig too expensive, and it should therefore not have CW
capability.
> Just look what has been sold in the past. In the U.S. you have not
> needed to know Morse code to get a ham license since 1991. Since then
> millions of 2m and 2m/70cm FM radios have been sold. How many have
> been sold with CW?

Not many VHF/UHF rigs have been sold with SSB capability either, except
those that also had HF capability. Come to think of it, SSB being so
difficult for a beginner to tune, why not just go FM on the HF bands to
make it even more effortless for these lazy new generation hams to use
HF? We could save a few bucks using a FM discriminator and no BFO. Much
simpler transmit circuitry with FM too. Divide the HF bands up into
channels, as you suggested earlier.

Got a copy good buddy? I can turn on my foot warmer, and it doesn't
even need to be leenyur, cuz we're ratchet jawin' in FM. Ten Four?

Making the final class C would also save a few bucks.

DE N6KB