[TenTec] balanced antenna tuner ( or how to do things on the cheap - tri

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] balanced antenna tuner ( or how to do things on the cheap - tribute to Geoff's drive for cost effect
From: Marinus Loewensteijn <mjloewensteijn@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 08:44:53 +0000
Geoff

In your drive for equipment on the cheap I like to draw your attention to the
S-Match as promoted by PA0FRI:
http://www.xs4all.nl/~pa0fri/ATU/Smatch/smatcheng.htm

It uses only three components, tunes very easily and can handle both balanced
as unbalanced antennas. Unfortunately you may have to build a different version
for 160m than for 10m because minimum capacitance values do have an impact.

It should be the ideal beginner's project, in particular if I see prices asked
for "commercial" antenna tuners and which often contribute a considerable
expense towards establishing a station.

By the way - even with the older tentec gear like the Omni-C one does not need
a SWR meter since that is already built in to the rig. (And "standalone" SWR
meter's  prices are through the roof for such a simple piece of equipment)

Enjoy, 73, Marinus, ZL2ML