Re: [TenTec] TRX-Manager & Orion II

To: "ab8ah@embarqmail.com" <ab8ah@embarqmail.com>, "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TRX-Manager & Orion II
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2008 08:34:14 -0700
On Fri, 25 Apr 2008 19:48:11 -0400, Frederick M. Mott wrote:

>The last two days I have been trying to get the Orion II to work
>(communicate) with TRX-Manager.  It does not work for me.

You've gotten great suggestions on logging software, but some of
them are specialized for contesting rather than general logging.
HamRadioDeluxe and the DXLab Suite (DXKeeper is the logger) are
excellent GENERAL logging programs, not contest logging programs.
You would be a very slow dog if you used them in a contest. :)

N1MM and Writelog are excellent CONTEST loggers. While you could
use them for general logging, you wouldn't be very happy with them
-- the general programs are much better for that.

Another comment. I STRONGLY suspect that the problem you are
having getting the software to talk to the radio will be common to
all of the programs -- that is, you probably have some problem
either with how the radio is set or how the cable is wired. Once
you get it running for one, it will almost certainly work for all
of them if you set both the logger and the radio properly.

I would try HRD first -- it is the easiest to play with settings
for the computer-to-radio connection, it's excellent, and it's
FREE! It has a built-in logger, AND you can use it with DXKeeper
if you like the DXKeeper logger better than the HRD logger.

73,

Jim K9YC