[TenTec] 708A MIC setting

To: <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] 708A MIC setting
From: "Dennis Bryant" <brya5984@bellsouth.net>
Date: Mon, 5 May 2008 16:20:14 -0400
Good afternoon all,

As many of you heard yesterday on the TenTec net, I have a question about my
708A microphone used with my Orion II.

I have to set the mic gain at 70 on 20 meters and 90 on 10 meters in order to
get the red ALC light to twinkle and them only with my mouth on the mic. The
manual suggested setting is 60.

My 706 makes the ALC blink at a mic setting of 40 on all bands. I have over 30
years of acting experience in amateur theater so I don't have a problem with
projecting my voice.

I do know there is an internal mic gain (it was set at 2.0 and I increased it
to 2.5). I am a little leery of using that gain too much because of the warning
in the manual.

Does anyone have a suggestion before I contact TenTec?

Dennis, N4MUS