Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 07 May 2008 08:50:49 -0600
On Wed, 2008-05-07 at 07:53 -0400, Bill Ames wrote:
> Well, that is a good question. I do have one of those MFJ meters and I will
> measure it at the feedpoint. However I think the antenna resonates around
> 2.8 MHz. I think I will have to adjust some lengths and heights. It has been
> up for ten years or so and feeding it with a 100 W it worked just fine.

And if you match it the same with a low loss tuner, it will work just
fine for QRP. The longer length should give you some gain over an 80
meter resonant dipole.

> But
> using it QRP I need to get it just right. If I had just a, say, 150 ohm Z
> (no reactive components), could I just use a torrid transformer to match the
> rigs 50ohm output?

You could, but any antenna with much bandwidth at constant impedance
(except my broad band 80 meter dipole), will have reactance, and I think
the tuner would probably have lower losses than the toroid unless the
toroid was large (like on a T240 core).

> Bill
> KB1LG

73, Jerry, K0CQ