Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Lowest loss matching an antenna for my Argonaut 509
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Thu, 08 May 2008 19:09:04 -0600
On Fri, 2008-05-09 at 00:47 +0000, ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net wrote:
> "N" connectors, when properly installed have much less loss than so
> called "UHF" (PL259/SO239) type connectors. At HF the loss may not be
> much for a brand new, shiny PL259, and the extra care and expense
> needed to install "N" connectors may not be worthwhile. With age though
> a type "N" connector is likely to hold up much better, since they have
> neoprene (or something like it) seals. Ask a UHF or microwave
> enthusiast what they think of "UHF" connectors. What is your complaint
> about "N" connectors?
>
> DE N6KB

"UHF" has a sturdier center connection and a very poor outer connection
that depends on the tightness of the threaded ring. I've burned UHF
connectors black with only 18 watts of RF at 2m when vibration in the
mobile shook the connection loose.

I'd rather put on a dozen type N connectors than one UHF. I know the N
is a lot different (except for some made for ham use that mistakenly
take on the soldered braid UHF style), but I can do N's consistently
without burned or worn out fingers. It takes a lot of heat to solder the
braid of an N, which can do lots of damage to the insulation.

But while lower loss and impedance matched (the other "fault" of UHF),
the N connector interface is not as sturdy as the UHF connector
interface. There are many other connector possibilities, I use type C
for my antenna patch panel because its sturdier than N at the center pin
(but not the shield connection) and uses a bayonet ring. Then there's H,
LC, BNC (which will mate with N), SMA (small), SMB (smaller), SMC (even
smaller), and 7/16 DIN. The 7/16 DIN has the sturdiest of center pins
and shield connections which none of the US designs have simultaneously
smaller than L or LC and is the darling connector of the cell phone
industry because the large connecting surfaces have lower intermod and
leakage than any other family of connectors.

73, Jerry, K0CQ