Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Low Pass Filter
From: "DAVID HELLER" <dtx@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 18 May 2008 01:07:52 -0400
Radiation from a feedline or from the antenna proper is radiaton, which is
what a transmitter is supposed to be doing for a living.  A good match is
just supposed to increase the amount of transmitter output that actually
gets where it can radiate;  that which simply heats something along the way
is just wasted.  As for the RFI possibility I refer to the ARRL RFI book,
and especially the article by me therein.  The test:  If there is one TV set
(assuming it's TVI in question) in your home or the immediate vicinity that
your station does NOT bother your rig is clean and anything you do to it
will produce no improvement.   The affected receivers are defective,most
likely needing high pass filtering.
Telephones and other devices that are either not supposed to be receivers or
at worst  VHF or UHF devices should know better than to listen to HF.
One rule our Bucks Interference Committee,which I headed for many years,
strictly enforced, was that we of  the committee would never touch a
complainant's device - TV or whatever, and we were emphatic in advising the
involved amateurs to keep hands off, and generally keep clear and let the
Committee do the dirty work.
One of the worst sources of  true RFI was the ubiqitous C,B, ,often assisted
by the nonlinear amplifiers common to the breed.  We stayed clear since our
services were free and FCC had the opportunity to make money off them.
Always amazing how 5 watts could raise so much problems while 100 watts or
even a KW would bother no one.----- Original Message -----