Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] 95% Shield
From: "John Cox" <jecox@tri-lakes.net>
Date: Tue, 20 May 2008 18:01:26 -0500
Way back before recorded time (1958) when I was an Aviation Electronics
Technician in the Navy they hauled all of us radar tech's over to the
hospital and inspected our eyes for tumors.
None found but they must have had a reason.   I recall putting my hand in
front of the APS-38 wave guide on the antenna to see if I had any power out.
It would get warm just like in a microwave.  I had a fellow IBMer that was
an Air Force Electronic Technician on one of the very high power radars
which had a fence around the antenna to keep the Air Force version of our
Navy Aviation Machinist Mates away from it.  Some one had told them that if
they stood close when in operation it would make them sterile.
 I had a neighbor that was involved in the bomb test in the pacific and
wasn't going to have any children because of worries about radiation damage.
Had another IBMer who worked most of his 4 years in the Navy on Nuclear
devices on the 10th or 11th deck, down by the keel, on an aircraft carrier.
He died in his 40's of Leukemia.
 If you are in the majority of hams you don't have to worry because you will
probably die from the complications of old age before the electro magnetic
radiation or nuclear radiation get to you.
73, John  KC0YAI