Re: [TenTec] Ferrite Data

To: "tentec@contesting.com" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ferrite Data
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:58:04 -0700
On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 10:51:47 -0600, Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

>Yes the Amidon data is simplistic, yet it can be compared to Fair-rite
>data and there are 200 ham applications of Amidon ferrites to each
>published Fair-rite application. Maybe more. I don't recall seeing any
>publications calling for Fair-Rite parts.

I have, and my extensive publications on ferrite chokes for control of
RFI and and for coaxial transmitting chokes ALL specify Fair-Rite
toroids in specific sizes and materials. Moreover, my publications
include MEASURED data for the performance of many of these chokes.

But that's a marketing problem. Amidon advertises to the ham world,
Fair-Rite does not. As far as I know, all of the ferrite parts (not the
iron core parts) that Amidon sells are re-branded (and greatly marked
up) Fair-Rite parts. And ham authors are often lazy -- they don't bother
to learn that the Amidon parts are really Fair-Rite parts. That laziness
has cost hams a LOT of money in needless markup.

It's funny -- hams will buy $1 connectors that are junk rather than $3
or $5 connectors of decent quality, but they'll pay $15 for the same $4
toroid.

>yet when applying ferrite cores for power we found at Collins that we
>needed more data which we had to develop experimentally, by applying RF
>power to a winding to see if the core heating was acceptable or could
>be adequately cooled whether it took

Of course -- all of this is part of the normal engineering that must go
into product design. The Fair-Rite catalog includes thermal data and
saturation data for all of their materials. While this is less than what
you measured at Collins, it goes FAR beyond anything that is published
by Amidon. AND, the difference between the behavoir of various materials
that you would measure in the tests you did at Collins would clearly be
predicted by the Fair-Rite data.

When I was working on the design of non-ovenized temperature compensated
high stability oscillators at Motorola in in '60s, I had to make
extensive measurements of the temperature characteristics of quartz
crystals. Again, all part of the engineering process.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC