Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] OT SWR VS Power Loss
From: Steve Hunt <steve@karinya.net>
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 2008 10:25:46 +0100

Dr. Gerald N. Johnson wrote:

>> As Jerry points out, there are some amongst us who believe that a tuner at
>> the antenna feed point  tunes the antenna wire to resonance. It does not.
>>

> Why not? The tuner can supply the needed series capacitive reactance to
> bring the feed impedance resistive. Isn't a resistive feed impedance (no
> matter what the magnitude) the definition of resonance? And when that
> antenna is resonant, isn't the current in the wire maximized? Isn't
> there a possibility of greater circulating current than feedline
> current, if the antenna Q is higher.

Jerry,

Mischievously .......  I just tried an interesting experiment. I took a
100 Ohm resistor in series with a 100pF capacitor and placed them across
the "antenna" terminals of my tuner. I watched them carefully as I
adjusted the tuner for a 50 Ohm match. At no time did I see any change
in the physical appearance of the resistor or capacitor, so I don't see
how the tuner was making them "resonant". I was disappointed - I'd hoped
from your description I might see them "morph" into a 50 Ohm resistor
before my very eyes :)

73,
Steve G3TXQ