[TenTec] Hercules II fan noise

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: [TenTec] Hercules II fan noise
From: jac <jacrux@googlemail.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2008 17:53:23 +0100
I have never had that noise from my Hercules II even when running 500 watts
out.  In fact I was just on the air rag chewing on 20CW and the only fan
noise I got was from the separate 25 amp (analog) supply for the Omni-V. Now
that has a little fan that comes on almost at random and irritates me, but
not enough to get me to junk the thing, even if I'm not using headphones.
Seems to me the noisy Hercules fan bearings and/or the fan mountings are shot,
or maybe someone swapped the fan out for an unsuitable replacement. Worth
investigating, because the fan has never been noisy here and I don't even
notice it running - headphones or not.

Gratuitous advice department:
If your 9420 supply is erratic in starting up, take a look at the two power
relays (AFTER disconnecting the AC line !)  My 9420 stopped switching on - it
switched itself off immediately and I thought I had blown another pass
transistor, but the problem was entirely due to dirty relay contacts not
meeting properly. Now I have cleaned the contacts up and tweaked the blades a
tiny tad so they close properly, the brute is working just like new. It don't
get any easier to shift though......
For what its worth I also  have an extra earth cable from the 9420 to the
Omni-V - Hercules II - 253 auto ATU stack. Its made from a length of 120
strand 100 amp amp industrial ground cable parallelled up with the regular
power cable, with a spiral wrap cable tidy around the lot to keep it looking
neat.
Other 9420 mods on request - I did several inside, but you may not have had my
unusual problem.