Re: [TenTec] Microphones

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Microphones
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Dec 2008 10:46:58 -0800
On Wed, 3 Dec 2008 09:11:02 -0800 (PST), alan geller wrote:

>If you want the ultimate setup, take a look at VE7TK's home page.

Before you go spending a lot of money on this stuff, take a look
at my tutorials in audio for hams.

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/RFI-Ham.pdf

http://audiosystemsgroup.com/HamInterfacing.pdf

BTW -- Behringer is well known in the pro audio world as a rip-off
company. They have stolen designs from reputable companies (Aphex
and Mackie are two of them) (and have been convicted in court of
doing so), build with lousy quality, and provide lousy support.

Not throwing rocks at W2IHY, but my tutorials show how you can do
all the EQ you need for the price of a capacitor and resistor.
I've done it in several rigs. Ten Tec was founded by Al Kahn, who
also founded Electro-Voice, and the Ten Tec factory was across the
street from the EV factory. Although Al was a CW man, he knew a
LOT about audio -- EV has always made the mics that virtually all
broadcasters used. So pro mics have always worked well with the
Ten Tec rigs I've owned, the last of which is an Omni V. I would
be quite surprised if they don't also work quite well with Omni
VII and Orion. All you have to do is wire the mic properly.

The mic in my ham station is a used EV RE16. RE10, 11, 15, 18, 20,
and 27 are all equivalent. So are AKG D202, D224, Shure SM53,
SM54. You WILL need my simple R-C EQ with these mics. Mics like
the Shure 444 also sound great with ham rigs, and they don't need
EQ -- the needed EQ is built-in. I've used a 444 with my Omni V.
The tutorial shows how you can use mics like those "over the ear"
and "in the ear" types that Plantronics sells for $25-$30 at big
computer stores. I've used these too, and they sound great with a
ham rig. All you have to do is find the one that feels comfortable
and wire it correctly! They don't need EQ either.

BTW -- I've worked in broadcasting and pro audio since 1960, and
am a Fellow of the Audio Engineering Society, so I know a bit
about audio. :) I'm also a serious contester, and my contest
buddies tell me my audio is very clean and very competitive.

73,

Jim Brown K9YC