Re: [TenTec] Problem with carrier on LSB on my Omni 6+

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Problem with carrier on LSB on my Omni 6+
From: "Phil Chambley Sr." <k4dpk@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 23:52:38 -0500
Ernie....

You say you had the carrier completely eliminated, and it re-appeared.  How
are you measuring?   Do you use a scope, a wattmeter or a report from
another ham?

I've found it easier to listen on another receiver while adjusting the
balanced mod trimpots.  Even if you also use a scope you can hear the
"bottom fall out" of the carrier.  Be sure you have the microphone gain all
the way off when doing this.  Also, the two trimpots interact, so it is
necessary to go back and forth repeatedly when adjusting them.

With the CA3053 balanced modulator and a ladder filter, you won't ever make
the carrier "completely disappear" on both sidebands...much less at the same
time. But you can reach optimum by switching back and forth between USB and
LSB while making the adjustments, so you get to a happy medium.

Again, this is facilitated by listening slightly off frequency with another
receiver.

73
Phil C. Sr.
k4dpk