Re: [TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Time Sharing Radio Access?
From: "Jim Brown K9YC" <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Tue, 16 Dec 2008 12:43:08 -0800
On Tue, 16 Dec 2008 14:30:52 -0500, Aaron Lamb wrote:

>Audio?  This shouldn't be an issue either, many free VOIP software out
there
>that will work just fine.  Skype, Ventrilo, Teamspeak, and IP-Sound.

Yes, there's lots of software "out there," but "out there" is the operative
word. One issue that's often overlooked is LATENCY, which is what audio
guys call the time it takes for signal to get from point A to point B. The
problem is that the internet is not deterministic -- that is, the latency
is random -- and that the latency is not trivial -- typically on the order
of 100 msec. Little things like sending CW, for example, are not trivial.

Latency issues can be solved for routine rag-chewing, but not for DX-
chasing or contesting. Besides -- the rules of many (most?) contests
preclude remote operation.

You can see latency using software like Ping.

There are lots of other issues, like antenna tuning and switching, reading
meters on things like tuners and SWR bridges, and generally figuring out
when things have gone a bit askew.

Anyone really interested in this ought to chase down and join the groups
dedicated to remote operation. I've heard that there are some, don't know
their names or access points. Google to find them, maybe look on
contesting.com, etc.

73,

Jim K9YC