[TenTec] Frequency difference in dual receivers

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: [TenTec] Frequency difference in dual receivers
From: Ken Brown <ken.d.brown@hawaiiantel.net>
Date: Sat, 20 Dec 2008 11:02:31 -1000
>  sure wish both
> receivers were on same freq when both are using same vfo - not some 5 to 6
> hz apart.

     I don't have an Orion, or any other rig with dual receivers. I have
had the opportunity to use an Elecraft K3 with dual receivers, both on
the same frequency, using separate antennas. That setup has really
helped us at KH6LC to hear weak signals in 160 meter contests. That
claim can be backed up by the results posted on line for the Stew Perry
warm-up this year. Having a rig with dual receivers, which are always
off frequency by a few Hertz or a fraction of a Hertz would be very
frustrating, having used the K3.

     By the way, if they are a few Hertz off, then they aren't really
using the same VFO. They may be using the same "virtual VFO" control of
two separate synthesizers with different resolution step sizes. Even
with the K3, I believe the two receivers do not use the same VFO. They
use two separate, yet identical, and phase locked VFOs.

DE N6KB