Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec OII - SSB Distortion

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec OII - SSB Distortion
From: "Ron Castro" <ronc@sonic.net>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2009 17:08:41 -0800
Keith:  I just fired up my OII on 160 m AM and did not get the problem you
described, so it sounds like something else is going on there.  I agree with
one of the other posters that you should run AM on 160 into a dummy load and
see if that triggers the problem.  If not, then RF is a good place to start.
If it's not RF, perhaps you should reload the firmware from your computer.

Please note that you will always hear some distortion in the monitor on AM,
but this does not come out on the air.  Tests I have made with a Perseus SDR
receiver indicate that AM in the OII nothing short of excellent with audio
response > 5 kHz and no audible distortion.  Levels adjust automatically so
there is no splatter over a very wide range of input levels.

         Ron N6IE
      www.N6IE.com