Re: [TenTec] Centurion question

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Centurion question
From: <atrampler@att.net>
Date: Sat, 17 Jan 2009 04:37:10 -0600
Phil,

You can read about people replacing the transformer in the Centurion (there
was something about TT losing the guy who made their transformers/getting
them from somebody else) but I think the issue you are talking about is one
of design, not of robustness.

I pull a KW (and a bit more if I wanted to) easily from the unit.  If the RF
deck were designed for more power, then yes, running a higher plate voltate
would or could make sense to increase the power out.  Some Henry's ran 4KV
key up, and produced about 2KW out from a pair of 3-500Zs.

In case you really want to, look here:

http://hamradiomarket.com/articles/Ten%20Tec%20Centurion.htm

The neat thing about the Centurion is that the plate transformer is just
that...the plate transformer, not supplying filament or other voltages.  So
this fellow modified his by building an external 4KV supply.  He claims the
RF deck is nice and robust and good for this and therefore the unit becomes
a legal limit amp (he was pulling 1700 watts out of it), but I don't feel
comfortable with that.  That's just me...I'm not an engineer.

So I hope this short answer was worth it.  One nice thing about the
modification he did is that the HV PS now sits on the floor away from the
amp which is made considerably lighter.

73,
Art, K0RO