Re: [TenTec] TenTec Triton IV w/ TT 262G Power Supply

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] TenTec Triton IV w/ TT 262G Power Supply
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2009 20:18:23 -0600
On Wed, 2009-02-25 at 07:00 -0500, Doug Smith wrote:
> Jerry K0CQ brings up an excellent point regarding the power supply shutting
> down under load. This is something that I never even considered as the 262G
> has ONLY been used on the Triton IV. (with the 6 pin Molex connectors and
> all) I will have to add load test the 262G to the list of tests and or try
> the Triton IV on a different power supply.

Could be an overly sensitive current limiting section (often the PA
transistor's only protection from a high SWR load in vintage Tentecs)
like an open current sample resistor or solder connection to that
resistor or the main pass transistors burned open with only the driver
transistor supplying the load and its big enough to run the receiver,
but not the transmitter. 1 amp or less vs 20 amps. Likely the main pass
transistors are 2N3055 or 2N3773 and the driver is a 2N3054. This
failure is not rare in Astron supplies.

> To answer other questions Phil K4DPK, Stuart K5KVH, yes it happens on all
> bands at all drive levels into a known good dummy load. As soon as PTT is
> touched in SSB, the key in CW or the LOCK switch is used the Ten Tec 262G
> power supply shuts down.
>

> Doug VE3IYB EN93ui -9C , -16C w/ windchill! ~60 miles SW of Toronto,
> Ontario, Canada Eh?

73, Jerry, K0CQ