Re: [TenTec] Orion2 auto tuner

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Orion2 auto tuner
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 19:49:51 -0500
My experience is that auto tuners indicate TUNED when they attain the lowest
SWR regardless of the value.  It could be 10:1 and if that is the best it
can do then it is TUNED.  Although most would not consider this acceptable.

I understand that most think they should be able to attain a 1:1 under all
conditions.  That is not generally attainable and is largely depending on
the range of the tuner vs. the applied load.

My solution is a 238 tuner after the amp.  Using an antenna bridge to set it
up, it will match most any normal antenna that I can throw at it.  I gave up
on narrow range auto tuners long ago.

73
Bob, K4TAX