Re: [TenTec] Need OVP advice for Ten Tec 262

To: Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Need OVP advice for Ten Tec 262
From: w8au@sssnet.com
Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 21:21:22 -0400
At 11:35 AM 3/31/2009, you wrote:
>I recently bought a used 262G for a Triton, understand these older supplies
>with one pass transistor can fail, putting overvoltage to the radio.  Until
>I can correct this deficiency, I'm reluctant to use the rig.

Having used this same 262G for my Triton for the past 35 years, I have never
had a failure.  It doesn't happen often. :-)

>Ten Tec no longer sells the OVP kit.  I know the circuit is fairly simple,
>but evidently there are modules available commercially that perform the same
>function.

What you can easily do it install a 16 volt heavy duty stud type Zener
(from 12V to ground) after the 20A fuse in the rig.   If the 262 pass
transistor fails, the voltage rise to 22 volts will blow the fuse first.
(make sure you also don't use a slo-blow fuse)

Perry  w8au