Re: [TenTec] Carrier null on Omni VI; SSB switching transient

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Carrier null on Omni VI; SSB switching transient
From: "Bob McGraw - K4TAX" <RMcGraw@Blomand.net>
Date: Wed, 1 Apr 2009 18:44:23 -0500
Since the carrier null is different between LSB and USB, this would suggest
that the BFO is not properly positioned on the slope of the TX SSB filter.
The attenuation of the filter contributes to the carrier null.

A frequency counter is required to properly perform this alignment or to set
the BFO frequency.  Once the BFO alignment is correct then an oscilloscope
can be used to observe the actual carrier level in the output.  The
adjustment can be made and you can see that the carrier null is equal
between LSB and USB.  This will likely cure the switching transit you
describe as well.

The manual covers all of these adjustments and the required equipment to
perform same.

73
Bob, K4TAX