Re: [TenTec] Scotch 33 - Non corrosive RTV

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Scotch 33 - Non corrosive RTV
From: "pfizenmayer" <pfizenmayer2@q.com>
Date: Fri, 1 May 2009 12:23:07 -0700

> The tape peeling and pulling back is a function of how its been treated.
> When its stretched to break, even Scotch 33 will pull back. Its much
> better to be cut with the Kleins and the last turn or two not be
> stretched at all.

I can verify that genuine Scotch 33 applied as Jerry says will last at least
27 years in fierce AZ sun. I just took down some that had been holding coax
for that period of time and the layer just under the top wrap was almost
like new - still flexible and no cracking even in outer wrap.Much better
than the coax outer jacket! This time we wrapped the entire coax rotator
loop with #33 gonna be interesting to see how that works- can't hurt.

> Ordinary silicone sealer creates acetic acid (vinegar) as it cures and
> that will corrode stuff encased in it. If often takes shopping at an
> industrial supplier to find silicone sealer that cures without making
> acetic acid. McMaster-Carr (www.mcmaster.com) is one possiblity, home
> centers tend to not carry the safe silicone.

I cannot swear it is an alcohol cure instead of acetic but if you look at
the DX Engineering 2008 catalog they show "Permatex Neutral Cure RTV
Sealant" and the picture shows a Permatex tube of "Ultra Black Hi- Temp RTV
Silicon Gasket Maker"  #598B. I think I have seen that at ACE Hardware . I
have not googled Permatex to see what they say about 598B.

FWIW -  73 de hank K7HP