Re: [TenTec] Argonaut II digital interfacing?

To: tentec@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Argonaut II digital interfacing?
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Sun, 10 May 2009 01:50:32 -0600
On Sat, 2009-05-09 at 11:15 +0000, Bill Rowlett wrote:
> It appears that this amp has been set up to "talk" to the newer line of rice
> boxes like the FT-817 or the IC-703 etc.
>

> If you can get a copy of the specs which give the programing of the device,
> you can tell if it will talk to anything else.
>

> 73 and good luck
>

> Bill  KC4ATU
>
>From the HF-45B manual, it appears to be only set to work automatically
with the FT-817. It uses logic to detect 26 to 28 MHz drive and so to
lock out use on CB. Which ought to mean it could detect drive and
bandswitch itself, but apparently it requires using the front panel
up/down buttons to pick the band when used with radios other than the
FT-817. The manual I found didn't show schematic details or control
input details. I don't yet know the output details of the 817. I expect
its the same as the 857 which I have, but I don't know that for sure.
That output is a 4 bit binary parallel CMOS 5 volt levels.

73, Jerry, K0CQ