Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Advertizing

To: "Discussion of Ten-Tec Equipment" <tentec@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Ten Tec Advertizing
From: "Bob Close" <rclose@nhwisp.com>
Date: Mon, 18 May 2009 20:29:36 -0400
I look at the Ten Tec way a little differently.  If I wanted an Icom I would
buy one, and the same goes for the other  rice-rigs. If I wanted a
home-stereo styled rig I would buy rice. If I wanted a radio that ran
itself, same thing.  What Ten Tec does is to build a rig that takes a little
thought and effort to use to it's potential.  It is a line of radios that
stands apart from the the Japanese crowd in the way you use it, how it
looks, and  it's apart-from-the-crowd overall "feel".

Ten Tec builds rigs for a more thinking consumer rather than try to appeal
to the lowest common denominator. .  It is not a bad marketing ploy.  If you
try to be just like everyone else, you only stand apart by selling your rig
cheaper than the other guy.  If you build something that appeals to a select
audience you can charge that audience what the market will bear and not
really worry if your front panel has more curves than the competition.
Ten-Tec's advertising even appeals to a different crowd, as noticed by a few
posters recently.

I like being a little different than my Toyota driving neighbors.  I like
living in an area where every house is not a cookie cutter building, and I
really enjoy being as unique an individual as I can, even when it comes to
my choice of xcvr.  If we all try to be like everyone else we will all
become registered Democrats, and THAT is a fate worse than death for many of
us.  :)

Maybe they are giving their target audience exactly what they want!

73 folks,  and peace