Re: [TenTec] Help me, I'm dumb.

To: geoffrey mendelson <geoffreymendelson@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [TenTec] Help me, I'm dumb.
From: "Dr. Gerald N. Johnson" <geraldj@storm.weather.net>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 10:38:52 -0600
On Tue, 2009-05-19 at 18:35 +0300, geoffrey mendelson wrote:
<SNIP>

> One of the "features" of Vista was that it did not have hardware
> support for old devices and programing support for some of the older
> versions of Windows. It was designed with buying everything new. I've
> stuck with XP and still have my copies of WordStar 3.3 (PC DOS version
> of a CP/M program circa 1980) and WordPerfect 4.2 (circa 1986), both
> of which I use about once a year.

WS 4.0 works well in DOS, windoze, and OS/2. Later versions corrupt the
document files way too much, but in non document mode its great for
producing C source code. All my computer keyboards have CTRL just to the
left of A, customized for WS cursor motion. I use it daily for packet
radio and often for program source codes in OS/2.

I could link my windoze computers that aren't used often to this linux
computer for printer access, but I keep DOS for burning eproms and
running AutoCad 12 and its hard to do networks with DOS. I've not yet
tried to run AutoCad 12 with xdosemu. Maybe I should try that.

> Most new computers do not come with serial or parallel ports nor
> floppy drives. New radios will have to come with USB or Ethernet ports
> for computer control (doesn't the Omni 7 have an ethernet port?)

I suppose I'll only be using vintage computers as time passes. I can't
see using a 17 GHz CPU waiting for key strokes. The super fast CPU just
has to spend a greater fraction of its clock cycles in wait loops that
consume power just like adding and subtracting.

> Either that or the hot topic on 2m will be keeping old computers
> running.

There is some of that already. I'm talking about setting up a packet bbs
and since the software has been known to run on an 8088 at 4 MHz it
seems to be a waste to run a multiple GHz (and power hungry) super
Pentium or AMD doing such tasks. I would drop the clock speed on
whatever I use to reduce power consumption too for a computer that will
be running 24/7. I'm going to use a CF and adapter to the IDE connector
instead of a hard drive. That should save a few watts. I may do that to
my shack packet computer too.

> Geoff.

73, Jerry, K0CQ